Sondrel design some of the most complex SoCs (System on Chips) in the world, and a host of embedded software is required right from the early stages of chip design all the way through to delivering a silicon tested board support package to customers. Where possible we upstream drivers to the open source community.
The embedded Software written by the Sondrel team is typically Linux kernel device drivers, boot code, and a small amount of user space code. We want someone who wants to be right down there close to the hardware, debugging not only the Software but working with Sondrel's Hardware team to debug the silicon and sometimes the PCB.
The Senior Software Design Engineer position will be based at our Kings Langley (Hertfordshire) office.
Why work for Sondrel?
- You will be exposed to cutting-edge technologies and work on projects down to 7nm
- Opportunity to work on applications such as AI, Automotive, Fintech and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Work for one of Europe's leading concept-to-silicon design centres and play a key role in working on a variety of exciting projects
- Become an integral member of a truly global business with excellent opportunities for continued learning and skill development.
- Developing quality embedded software (typically drivers, tests, scripts and associated documentation).
- Integrating code from different sources to produce a BSP (Board Support Package)
- Debugging code and embedded system issues, with the support of both the hardware and software teams to root cause problems which may be in the software, the PCB, or the silicon itself
- Releasing of software and patches to customers, including responding to customer queries
- Maintaining and extending existing continuous integration and testing
- Keeping documentation up to date and sharing key information via wiki pages to spread knowledge throughout the team.
- Developing high quality drivers, tests, infrastructure and other low-level software in C, typically targeted at embedded Linux platforms, but occasionally other embedded operating systems. Pre-silicon this will typically be using FPGA, Emulation, Virtual Platforms and simulation to prove the SoC and software work together properly before the design is committed to silicon
- Post silicon bring up and validation, finding unexpected behaviour and hypothesizing the reason for it, then investigating to root cause and fix or work around the problem (if it cannot be fixed)
- Participation in peer review processes, giving constructive feedback to others and addressing feedback received yourself in a positive manner
- Proactively identifying areas of potential improvement in tool selection and processes
- Self-disciplined approach, managing the priorities of the work assigned to you carefully to make the projects succeed
- You may be asked to open source some of the code that you write, depending on which projects you are working on (Familiarity with up-streaming would be useful, but not essential)
- You may be asked to mentor more junior members of the team from time to time.
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good communicator
- Not hesitate to make use of a whiteboard with other members of the team to gather opinions and suggestions on how to solve issues
- Be able to work independently, or a part of a team, and be able to mentor other team members
- Be comfortable interfacing with suppliers and customers
- Able to use an oscilloscope
- Enjoys tinkering with embedded software at home as a hobby
- ARM or MIPS architecture experience
- Familiar with Linux kernel
- Experience of up-streaming code to the open-source community (specifically Linux kernel)
- Excellent C programming language skills
- Python or bash scripting language skills
- Strong understanding and experience of git source control
- Very good spoken and written English language skills.
A Bachelors, Masters or PhD in a relevant subject is essential for this position.
Remuneration / Benefits:
- Competitive remuneration including a company financial bonus
- Fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing cutting-edge design company
- Excellent training and career-progression opportunities with the option for exemplary candidates to lead and manage their own team.