The Engineering Manager will hire and manage the software team in the Rabat office, and provide technical leadership within that team. This includes, the day to day management activities and career development of the team while assigning regular tasks, reviewing code, technical coaching, evaluating performance and providing feedback. In addition, responsibility for hiring and training new employees, providing/creating work schedules and ensuring appropriate resource cover to deliver on and accomplish organisational goals and objectives.
Why work for Sondrel?
- You will be exposed to cutting-edge technologies.
- Opportunities to work on projects for AI, Automotive, Fintech, IoT, and SSD applications.
- Work for one of Europe's leading concept-to-silicon design centres and play a key role in working on a variety of exciting projects
- Become an integral member of a truly global business with excellent opportunities for continued learning and skill development.
- Developing quality embedded software (typically drivers, tests, scripts and associated documentation), and providing technical guidance both to team members and to Sondrel’s customers.
- Directly managing a team to deliver high performance and efficiency using best practice, and encouraging individuals to work together to achieve success while setting clear parameters about expectations for quality, accuracy, timely delivery of work.
- Ensuring that Sondrel’s software development practices are followed in the Rabat team, and being part of the continual improvement of those processes.
- Developing the individuals within the team through effective mentoring and coaching, whilst managing performance through the setting and communicating of expectations, objectives, regular performance reviews and taking intervention where necessary.
- Hiring to headcount by working closely with the HR department and the Moroccan Regional Engineering Head to manage the demand and supply of resources and the delivery of the resourcing strategy that identifies and addresses skills gaps and capability within the team.
- Authorisation of expenses, time cards, annual leave, sickness/absence, holidays and maintaining records of the same.
- Developing high quality drivers, tests, infrastructure and other low level software in C, typically targeted at embedded Linux platforms, but occasionally other embedded operating systems. Pre silicon this will typically be using FPGA, Emulation, Virtual Platforms and simulation to prove the SoC and software work together properly before the design is committed to silicon.
- Post silicon bring up and validation, finding unexpected behaviour and hypothesizing the reason for it, then investigating to root cause.
- Act as a role model leader by displaying solid leadership skills and providing excellent, structure, support, direction and purpose and identifying individual requirements to optimise their effectiveness and achieve organisational goals.
- Participate in peer review processes, giving constructive feedback to others and addressing feedback received yourself in a positive manner.
- Represent the Rabat software team within the Software DevOps working group to define the most effective processes and methodologies to apply to projects.
- Personal interaction with line reports (including weekly and monthly status meetings) to ensure reports perform at their best and deliver high performance.
- Ensure new reports are appropriately welcomed and inducted into the team including discussing the formal job description (plus any other relevant material).
- and set basic expectations for the role, behaviours and performance.
- Managing and reviewing performance regularly, identifying career development needs and opportunities and implementing a performance improvement plan and career development planning opportunities.
- Motivate direct reports so they deliver or exceed set objectives and KPI’s through organising performance reviews including taking input from engagement managers.
- Communicate effectively to manage and engage direct reports ensuring the performance is in line with their job role.
- You may be asked to open source some of the code that you write, depending on which projects you are working on (Familiarity with up-streaming would be useful, but not essential).
- Represent Sondrel at conferences and meetings and present technical paper
Skills & Experience:
- Typically, 8+ years’ experience.
- Excellent C programming skills
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Strong understanding and experience of git source control
- Strong Linux Kernel experience
- Experience of debugging using oscilloscopes and logic analysers.
- Proven capability as a problem solver with an ability to work individually or as part of a team.
- Able to evaluate issues and define solutions and provides advice and guidance to less experienced team members.
- Possesses a broad cross disciplinary knowledge but with the ability to apply advanced knowledge of a single sub-function OR knowledge of multiple sub-functions.
- Able to recognise and develop new business opportunities while providing feedback for technical innovation.
- Able to lead and contribute to technical team and departmental discussions.
- Contributes to the development of technical sales documents such as a Statement of Work and relating with customers at all stages of sales interaction.
- Develops and presents “technical white papers."
• A Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject. MSc/PhD would be desirable.
Remuneration & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and discretionary bonus
- Excellent training and career-progression opportunities with the option for exemplary candidates to lead and manage their own team.
- Fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing cutting-edge design company