Sondrel design some of the most complex SoCs (System on Chips) in the world, and a host of embedded software is required right from the early stages of chip design all the way through to delivering a silicon tested board support package to customers. Where possible we upstream drivers to the open source community.
The embedded Software written by the Sondrel team is typically Linux kernel device drivers, boot code, and a small amount of user space code. We want someone who wants to be right down there close to the hardware, debugging not only the Software but working with Sondrel's Hardware team to debug the silicon and sometimes the PCB.
The Senior Software Design Engineer position will be based at our Kings Langley (Hertfordshire) office.
- You will have 5-10 years’ experience of low-level C programming and have a passion for solving complex problems that bridge Software and Hardware;
- You will be familiar with the Linux kernel, preferably with some experience of up-streaming to the open-source community;
- You will be tenacious and stick with a problem until the root cause has been fully understood and resolved;
- You will want to work somewhere that values quality - you expect your code to be peer reviewed and you will put time and effort into reviewing other people’s code and spread knowledge and skill throughout the team;
- You will be self-disciplined and manage the priorities of the work assigned to you carefully to make the projects succeed.
Leadership and Engagement:
- You will have strong problem-solving skills;
- You will be a good communicator;
- You will not hesitate to make use of a whiteboard with other members of the team to gather opinions and suggestions on how to solve issues;
- You will be able to work independently, or a part of a team, and be able to mentor other team members;
- You will be comfortable dealing with suppliers and customers.
- Able to use an oscilloscope;
- Enjoys tinkering with embedded software at home as a hobby;
- ARM or MIPS architecture experience;
- Familiar with Linux kernel;
- Experience of up-streaming code to the open-source community (specifically Linux kernel);
- Excellent C programming language skills;
- Python or bash scripting language skills;
- Strong understanding and experience of git source control;
- Very good spoken and written English language skills.
A Bachelors, Masters or PhD in a relevant subject is essential for this position.
Applications will only be considered from candidates entitled to work in the country indicated without any visa or residency restrictions.
Remuneration / Benefits:
- Competitive remuneration and additional benefits including a company financial bonus;
- Fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing cutting-edge design company;
- Excellent training and career-progression opportunities with the option for exemplary candidates to lead and manage their own team.