Purpose of Role
The Principal Consultant Physical designer is expected to take the lead as part of a Physical implementation design team. This may take the form of being an outstanding expert in an aspect of the physical design skillset or as the team project lead. Within the team the designer will have significant responsibility for the delivery of a skilled task and/or the full chip from RTL to GDS. As the team lead the designer will also fulfil the role of customer interface, reporting all aspects of the project.
- The person will lead physical design projects as an expert and/or demonstrate industry leading expertise in a specific field of physical design.
- Should be capable of solving problems of significant complexity.
- Can demonstrate judgement in interpreting results and conducting quantitative analysis.
- Will be engaged in maintaining the high quality of the teamwork produced.
- Should be capable of interacting with team members and the engineering management team.
- Should be capable of mentoring junior members of the team and leading a large project team.
- At this level the Principal Consultant should show experience and significant ability in all the tools or be an outstanding expert in one or two. Examples of which are; Synthesis, PnR, Formal verification, Custom layout techniques, Analog simulation and Chip finishing.
- Should be able to contribute to technical white papers and present at internal and external conferences and will contribute to sales support as part of a team.
- A degree/masters or PhD in a relevant subject.
- Masters or PhD in a related subject but with 10+ years practicable experience.
- Project management qualification.
Skills & Experience:
- Typically 10+ years' experience. Guided by program or project objectives.
- Input skill set one or more of the following:
o PnR using either Synopsys ICC, Cadence EDI, Mentor Olympus.
o Synthesis using either Synopsys DC or Cadence RC.
o Experience of Formailty or Formalpro.
o Experience of Mentor Calibre or Synopsys IC Validator.
- Serves as an independent individual contributor to a technical project.
- Demonstrates capability as a problem solver with an ability to lead or be part of a physical implementation team.
- Evaluates issues and defines solutions as part of a team.
- Broadens cross disciplinary knowledge through new assignments.
- Develops and presents technical white papers.
- Ability to take secondments abroad for 3-6 months.
- Applies advanced knowledge of a single sub-function OR through knowledge of multiple sub-functions.
- Tcl, Perl or Python.
- Self-organisation and ability to respond to changing priorities quickly.
- Team leader.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Organisation and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Able to work under own initiative.
- A willingness to travel on a regular basis and work the required hours.