The Embedded Software Engineering Manager will hire and manage the software team in Hyderabad office and provide technical leadership within that team. This includes, the day to day management activities and career development of the team while assigning regular tasks, reviewing code, technical coaching, evaluating performance and providing feedback. The Engineering Manager will work closely with the Global Engineering Head, UK - Director Software of Engineering, HR, Sales and Finance along with the current Software team in India.
Sondrel design some of the most complex SoCs (System on Chips) in the world, and a host of embedded software is required right from the early stages of chip design all the way through to delivering a silicon tested board support package to customers. Where possible we upstream drivers to the open source community.
The embedded Software written by the Sondrel team is typically Linux kernel device drivers, boot code, and a small amount of user space code. We want someone who wants to be right down there close to the hardware, debugging not only the Software but working with Sondrel's Hardware team to debug the silicon and sometimes the PCB.
Why work for Sondrel?
- You will be exposed to cutting-edge technologies and work on projects down to 7nm
- Opportunity to work on applications such as AI, Automotive, Fintech and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Work for one of Europe's leading concept-to-silicon design centres and play a key role in working on a variety of exciting projects
- Become an integral member of a truly global business with excellent opportunities for continued learning and skill development.
- Developing quality embedded software (typically drivers, tests, scripts and associated documentation), and providing technical guidance both to the team members and to Sondrel’s customers
- Directly managing a team to deliver high performance and efficiency using best practice, and encouraging individuals to work together to achieve success while setting clear parameters about expectations for quality, accuracy and timely delivery of work
- Ensuring that Sondrel’s software development practices are followed in Hyderabad team and are being part of the continual improvement of those processes
- Developing the individuals within the team through effective mentoring and coaching, whilst managing performance through the setting and communicating of expectations, objectives, regular performance reviews and taking intervention where necessary
- Hiring to headcount by working closely with the HR department and the Global Engineering Head to manage the demand and supply of resources and the delivery of the resourcing strategy that identifies and addresses skills gaps and capability within the team.
- Authorisation of expenses, time cards, annual leave, sickness/absence, holidays and maintaining records of the same.
- Developing high quality drivers, tests, infrastructure and other low-level software in C, typically targeted at embedded Linux platforms, but occasionally other embedded operating systems. Pre-silicon this will typically be using FPGA, Emulation, Virtual Platforms and simulation to prove the SoC and software work together properly before the design is committed to silicon
- Post silicon bring up and validation, finding unexpected behaviour and hypothesizing the reason for it, then investigating to root cause
- Act as a role model by displaying solid leadership skills and providing excellent structure, support, direction with purpose and identifying individual and team requirements to optimise their effectiveness aligning to organisational goals
- Represent India software team within the Software DevOps working group to define the most effective processes and methodologies to apply to projects.
- Ensure new reports are appropriately welcomed and inducted into the team including discussing the formal job description (plus any other relevant material) and set basic expectations for the role, behaviours and performance
- Managing and reviewing performance regularly, identifying career development needs and opportunities and implementing a performance improvement plan and career development
- Participate in peer review processes, giving constructive feedback to others and addressing feedback received yourself in a positive manner
- Motivate direct reports to enable them to deliver or exceed set objectives and KPI’s through organising regular performance reviews including taking input from engagement managers
- You may be asked to open source some of the code that you write, depending on which projects you are working on (Familiarity with up-streaming would be useful, but not essential)
- Represent Sondrel at conferences and meetings and present technical papers.
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong solution oriented leader
- Good and effective communicator
- Able to work independently, or a part of a team, mentor other team members
- Be comfortable interfacing with suppliers and customers
- Proven leadership, project and team management skills
- Able to use an oscilloscope
- ARM or MIPS architecture experience
- Familiar with Linux kernel
- Experience of up-streaming code to the open-source community (specifically Linux kernel)
- Excellent C programming language
- Python or bash scripting
- Strong understanding and experience of Git source control.
A Bachelors/Masters or PhD in a relevant subject is essential with minimum 8+ years of strong embedded software experience in Semiconductors domain
Remuneration / Benefits:
- Competitive remuneration including a company financial bonus
- Fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly growing cutting-edge design company
- Excellent training and career-progression opportunities with the option for exemplary candidates to lead and manage their own team.
- International assignments/Travel